Location: San Antonio, TX
Discover how to create a student-centered culture that best serves your entire school community. Engage in meaningful conversations about hiring and induction, assessing and enhancing faculty and school culture, coaching and mentoring, growth-oriented and teacher-driven professional growth and renewal, and effective faculty evaluation.
In an era of “hyperchange,” it is more important than ever to foster a culture that provides a stable environment, while embracing necessary changes to prepare students for the future. A key component of providing a stable environment is ensuring that all employees deliver the school’s mission with excellence and clear and well-communicated expectations.
We will engage in meaningful conversations about hiring and induction, assessing and enhancing faculty and school culture, coaching and mentoring, growth-oriented and teacher-driven professional growth and renewal, and effective faculty evaluation. Leave this workshop excited to lead your school and your faculty from excellent to extraordinary.
- Cultivate an understanding of the relationships between executive leadership, faculty culture, and student performance.
- Gain the tools to assess and strengthen faculty culture and the student experience.
- Explore specific strategies to support your faculty in fostering a student-centered environment.
- Learn a comprehensive framework for attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding effective and mission-aligned faculty.
- Have the opportunity to share ideas and strategies with a diverse group of talented peers.
- Take home a copy of ISM’s brand new book, Comprehensive Faculty Development: A Guide to Attract, Retain, Develop, Reward, and Inspire.
Who Should Attend:
Academic administrators, including School Heads, Division Heads, Academic Deans, Deans of Faculty, Department Chairs, or anyone else working closely with faculty should attend.
ISM Director of Organizational Learning and Development | Consultant
Barbara provides her expertise in the areas of organizational systems and culture, academic leadership, employee evaluation and growth, student-centered and brain-based pedagogy, survey design, and data analysis.
As Consultant and Director of Organizational Learning and Development, Barbara:
- coordinates growth and leadership development programs for ISM employees;
- tracks and curates ISM principles and curriculum;
- consults; writes for Ideas & Perspectives; co-authors books; and conducts webinars in her areas of expertise;
- facilitates workshops such as ISM’s Engaging Students in an Extended Period, Support Student Success with Faculty Growth and Evaluation Teachers Love!, and Transformative Academic Leadership;
- presents at national and regional association conferences;
- provides one-on-one leadership coaching to academic administrators
- facilitates Board and school leadership retreats; and
- conducts school survey data presentations for employees, students, Boards, and parents.
Barbara joined ISM in 2011 after working in the field of education since 1996. She served as an ESL and adult literacy teacher at Boston University, MA; an upper school modern language teacher at the MacDuffie School, MA; and a language teacher and lead advisor at Collegiate School, VA. She also served as Academic Dean at Cape Henry Collegiate School, VA, where she oversaw curriculum and professional growth in grades PK−12.
While enrolled at Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh, she attended a year of high school in France through School Year Abroad. She later lived in Spain and Brazil, where she learned Spanish and Portuguese.
Barbara holds a bachelor’s degree in French and Spanish from Trinity College, CT; a master’s degree in applied linguistics from Boston University, MA; a master’s degree in educational administration from Harvard University, MA; and a master’s degree in independent school leadership from the Klingenstein Center at Teachers College, Columbia University, NY.
Personal Mission Statement
For all beings to be seen, heard, and valued.
Schedule to be announced soon
Hyatt Regency San Antonio
123 Losoya Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
A group hotel reservation rate of $189 is available until October 5, 2020. Subject to availability. Please wait until the workshop status is 'confirmed' before making your travel and hotel arrangements.
Make your hotel reservations by calling 210-222-1234 and letting then know you are with ISM or Independent School Management Summer Institute
The closest airport is San Antonio International (SAT).
How will ISM communicate workshop information with me?
It is essential that your school approves the following email addresses from ISM:
You will be receiving all communication—including your confirmation email and access to your workshop's Google Drive account—from these emails.
What does my registration fee include?
All workshop materials, breakfasts, lunch or dinner daily, and social hours are included.
What is not included in my registration fee?
Hotel accommodations and travel expenses, other meals not noted.
What should I wear?
Meetings rooms are generally cold, as temperature control in meeting spaces and large convention centers is difficult. Please bring a sweater, jacket, or sweatshirt.
What should I bring?
You’ll receive a letter from your workshop instructor letting you know what to bring. However, please bring a laptop or tablet for online access.
Can my special dietary requirements be met?
Absolutely. Just give the Workshops Department a call at 302-656-4944, and we'll make sure your needs are accommodated.
Should I need medical or dental attention, where should I go?
Should you need medical attention in a non-emergency, notify ISM staff and the hotel staff. The hotel can recommend what facilities are available, and may be able to supply transportation. In an emergency, call 911.
Event Confirmation and Cancellation Policy
We take the health and safety of our school leaders seriously.
In an abundance of caution and to protect the health of all participants, ISM will hold its 2020 Summer Institute and Advancement Academy as distance learning events.
Should ISM cancel an event, we ensure a 100% money-back guarantee for all registrants—so you can buy with confidence. You can feel free to direct any questions to email@example.com.
Confirmation and Cancellation Policy
Tuition Payment and Cancellation Policy for ISM’s Professional Development Events
Tuition must be paid in full 10 business days prior to the start date of the event. An attendee with a balance due on the start date will be denied entrance to the program until the balance is paid in full.
Cancellation requests must be made in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, faxing to 302-656-0647, or mailing to: Event Experience Manager, ISM, 1316 N. Union St., Wilmington, DE, 19806.
- Cancellations received more than 15 business days prior to the start date of the program will be fully refunded. Gold Dollars will also be fully refunded.
- Cancellations received less than 15 business days prior to the start date of the program will not be refunded.
- Non-payment of tuition or no-show to the event does not constitute a cancellation. Full tuition will be due and payable.
The Substitution Option and Wallet Option
If a member of your team can no longer attend a workshop for which they have registered and it is past the cancellation window, your school has two options to avoid penalty. Schools may also exercise these options at any time for cancellations.
- The school may substitute another employee.
- The school may bank the funds for a future ISM registration. These funds must be applied to a professional development event within one year from the start date of the original workshop. After one year, the funds will be forfeited. To use banked funds, please call the Event Experience Manager at 302-656-4944 x152.
*We DO NOT accept enrollments from consultants.
ISM believes in providing quality and excellence in all of our events and in ensuring the satisfaction of everyone who attends. Nearly 100% of our participants say they would recommend our events to their colleagues. If you are not satisfied with your event for any reason, ISM will credit the fee you paid toward another similarly priced workshop or will refund it.
If you have any questions, click below to send us an email.
Upcoming Workshops and Events
6/18/2020 — 6/19/2020
Scheduling in a Pandemic: How to Create Your School’s Fall 2020 Schedule
6/22/2020 — 6/25/2020
Mastering Enrollment Management