Reports to: Content Writer
Date: August 2021
Freelance Content Writer
Mission: ISM is dedicated to the advancement of school management. We provide creative strategies by combining extensive research, proven management techniques, and personalized service.
Core Purpose: Advancing School Leadership—Enriching the Student Experience
Overview: ISM offers consulting, research, professional development, insurance, and financial aid and scheduling software for private independent schools in the United States and abroad.
Independent School Management (ISM) is looking for freelance writers to create content for our organization and affiliates.
ISM is the premier consulting organization for K–12 private-independent school administrators. We provide insight and advice to help private school leaders improve their strategic planning, enrollment strategies, fundraising approaches, and more.
ISM Consultants conduct weekly webinars for our clients. As a freelance writer, you will listen to these webinars, pulling our content and information to write articles for our weekly publication, The Source. Each article promotes a particular ISM product or service.
One webinar could easily provide enough content for 2–3 blog posts, each 500-1,000 words in length, and 5–6 social media posts. Therefore, you must be able to consider all angles to pull out the right content to ensure it’s used effectively and consistent with ISM’s marketing goals.
On occasion, you would be responsible for creating content for our affiliate brands or partners. This requires you to develop an understanding of their unique needs and adapt to their tone and voice.
To be successful as a freelancer in this role, you must be able to create content marketing articles that match our desired tone, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively. You should also have an interest in private school K–12 education and enthusiasm for exploring new research and topics. Freelancers are paid per written article.
Freelance Writer Responsibilities
- Formulating content in accordance with prescribed editorial and formatting guidelines (we follow AP Style).
- Ensuring that content is properly researched from reputable sources.
- Maintaining a conversational tone in content while simultaneously being educational.
- Proofreading your assignments to detect and correct errors.
- Submitting completed works via the requisite channels, including Google Docs, Google Drive, and Monday.com.
- Bachelor's degree (or near completion of a bachelor’s degree) in creative writing, journalism, communication studies, or similar field.
- Prior writing experience, preferably as a freelancer.
- Portfolio of completed works.
- Own personal or laptop computer.
- Familiarity with Google Docs and Monday.com.
- Interest in private school K–12 education sector and enthusiasm for exploring new topics.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Capacity to work with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated, disciplined approach to work.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a freelance opportunity. Freelancers are paid per written article and correspondence is conducted through email.
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
All applicants must be able to provide the necessary documentation to prove that you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or a foreign national with authorization to work in the United States.
ISM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
ISM expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment or discrimination based on any of the characteristics mentioned above. Improper interference with the ability of other employees to perform their expected job duties is not tolerated.
Please send a resume and 3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and enter Freelance Content Writer in the subject line.
Independent School Management
2207 Concord Pike, #417
Wilmington, DE 19803