ISM Senior Consultant | Director of Fundraising Services | Advancement Academy Co-Convener
Paula joined ISM in 2002 after nearly 20 years working with various educational institutions to plan and execute their development, communications, and research programs. She provides services in the areas of annual, capital, endowment, and major gifts fundraising.
As Senior Consultant and Director of ISM’s Fundraising Group, Paula:
- Consults in development assessments, planning exercises, feasibility studies, case statements, campaign coaching, prospect research, and database management and utilization
- Has advised and worked on-site with more than 150 schools across North America, many of them more than twice
- Writes for ISM’s publications, including Ideas & Perspectives
- Leads leadership and Board retreats, and coaches professional and volunteer leaders
- Conducts workshops and webinars on annual giving, capital and endowment campaigns, major gifts programs, advancement staffing, and performance evaluation
- Keynotes and speaks at education conferences including AMS, AISNE, CASE, FCIS, SAES, NCAIS, and CAPS
- Co-convenes ISM’s Advancement Academy for expert practitioners in the areas of admission and enrollment management, development, and marketing communications
- served as co-architect of ISM’s International Advancement Certification Program for advancement professionals in private-independent schools
She holds the Leader Certification through ISM’s International Advancement Program (IAP-L).
Before joining ISM, Paula was a Vice President with Waters Pelton Ostroff & Associates, Inc., a fundraising consulting firm. In that capacity, Paula conducted numerous development assessments and capital and endowment campaign feasibility studies, totaling more than $65.5 million.
Previously, Paula was Director of Development for the Delaware Symphony Orchestra; Director of Corporate Relations at the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia; and consultant to the Children’s Television Workshop, WNYC-TV, and the New York City Office of the Mayor. She headed and taught at four international institutes established at Duke and Columbia Universities, and for the Council on International Educational Exchange.
Paula earned her doctorate in education from Teachers College, Columbia University, NY. She also holds two master’s degrees, in TESOL and in education, also from Teachers College. She earned her bachelor’s degree from Grinnell College, IA.