"How can we foster a supportive environment for our students?"
ISM's customized Advisory Program Development service guides and trains you in developing an advisory program structure that works—whether you are starting a new program or strengthening an existing one.
What We Do
Our Consultant conducts a session at your school (typically one day), working primarily with the Head, Assistant Head, Division Head(s), Dean of Students, Director of Counseling, and/or grade-level advisory team leaders to:
- Define and clarify the school or division’s advisory program mission and advisor roles and priorities
- Design or re-design the program to address academic and personal advising in individual and group contexts
- Foster faculty "buy-in"
- Take steps to professionalize the role of advisor
- Create a customized plan for ongoing, “home-grown” advisor professional development
- Address issues particular to the school
In addition to preparatory, pre-consultation phone calls and the on-site consultation, schools receive a copy of ISM’s Mission-Based Advisory: A Professional Development Manual.
While this service is customized to the needs of your school, please note that it does not address the specific content of an advisory program—curriculum, themes, activities. For a focus on those areas, see our Hands-on Advisory workshop at ISM Summer Institute.
Benefit to You
You have the tools to develop an advisory program that supports school mission and values, meets the needs of your middle and/or upper school students, and capitalizes on your faculty's strengths.
To learn more about how our Consulting Services can serve your school, e-mail Helen Foster, Consulting Manager, or call