ISM Director of Advisory Services | Consultant
Barbara provides her expertise in the areas of student-centered and brain-based pedagogies, faculty growth and culture, faculty evaluation, academic leadership, mission identity, survey best practices, and data analysis.
As Director of ISM Advisory Services, Barbara:
- Oversees ISM’s Consulting, Publications, Research, and Professional Development divisions
- Consults in strategic academic planning and school leadership
- Writes for ISM’s publications, including Ideas & Perspectives
- Facilitates some of ISM's scheduling workshops, empowering teachers to transition to and teach effectively in longer periods
- Leads courses at ISM’s Summer Institute, including Transformative Academic Leadership: Inspire and Empower Excellence and Administration and Faculty Evaluation: Maximize Your Team's Capacity
- Speaks at educational conferences, including CASE-NAIS, EMA, and AISAP
- Facilitates Board and school leadership retreats
Barbara joined ISM in 2011 after working in the field of education since 1996. She served as an ESL and adult literacy teacher at Boston University, MA; an upper school modern language teacher at the MacDuffie School, MA; and a language teacher and lead advisor at Collegiate School, VA. She also served as Academic Dean at Cape Henry Collegiate School, VA, where she oversaw curriculum and professional growth in grades PK−12.
While enrolled at Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh, she attended a year of high school in France through School Year Abroad. She later lived in Spain and Brazil, where she learned Spanish and Portuguese.
Barbara holds a bachelor’s degree in French and Spanish from Trinity College, CT; a master’s degree in applied linguistics from Boston University, MA; a master’s degree in educational administration from Harvard University, MA; and a master’s degree in independent school leadership from the Klingenstein Center at Teachers College, Columbia University, NY.
Personal Mission Statement
To cherish my work and to support and empower educators such that they cherish theirs.