Location: Wilmington, DE
Examine the latest research in scheduling and classroom instruction to guarantee a strong, healthy schedule that reduces conflict and enhances your students' quality of life. Refocus your school’s scheduling strategy on what’s best for your students to maximize their experiences with your school.
Scheduling next year’s classes and calendar doesn’t have to be a caffeine-fueled, angst-driven exercise in futility. This workshop takes you back to basics and refocuses your scheduling strategy on what’s best for your students, rather than what may be most convenient for adults.
Examine the latest research in scheduling and classroom instruction to guarantee a strong, healthy schedule that reduces conflict and enhances your students' quality of life. Return to your school with incredible quantities of up-to-date research and modern scheduling strategies, and an action plan that walks you through improving your school’s schedule design and process.
- Offer your students exactly the classes they want and need, with the resources your teachers require to deliver your school’s mission-based programs.
- Reduce the frenetic pace of the day through strategic scheduling practices that address student wellness.
- Develop class sections and blocks that allow your school to deliver a modern curriculum that allows for inquiry- and project-based classwork and interdisciplinary courses.
- Carve out time for meaningful teacher collaboration, student advisory, breaks, lunch, and cocurriculars.
Who Should Attend:
Middle and Upper Division Heads/Principals, School Heads, and other administrators and faculty leaders involved in scheduling school classes should attend.
Bryan Smyth, Ph.D.
ISM Consultant | Director of Research
Bryan’s central purpose is to help students flourish. He believes that the enhancement of school environments and cultures is the best way to facilitate growth in children and adults.
As a Consultant and ISM’s Director of Research, Bryan:
- Oversees ISM’s research initiatives designing studies, conducting statistical analyses and advancing our knowledge in areas important to independent school leadership
- Conducts onsite scheduling consultations, having had extensive experience creating and implementing unique daily schedules and annual calendars for both boarding and day schools
- Helps schools analyze and strategies their strategic operations conducting Strategic Performance Analyses, Strategic Planning/Strategic Financial Planning, and Strategic Academic Planning consultations
- Writes frequently for Ideas & Perspectives and co-authors books in the areas of scheduling, student-centered policies, faculty growth and evaluation, finance, social-emotional well-being, and research
- Leads ISM’s Student-Centered Scheduling workshop and The Assistant Headship workshop
Bryan joined ISM as a Consultant in 2013, following 13 years in independent school administration.
Bryan came to ISM from Mount Pisgah Christian School, GA, where he served as the Vice President, Head of the Upper School, Guidance and College Advisement Director, varsity head coach, and psychology teacher over the course of his tenure. Prior to that, he was the Associate Head of School at Brandon Hall, GA.
He is also a licensed clinical psychologist whose practice specialized in the psychological assessment and treatment of adolescents and their families. This varied background and set of experiences affords him the ability to view a school’s form and function from multiple viewpoints, leading to solutions that take into account all perspectives.
Bryan holds a Ph.D. and master’s degree in clinical psychology from Marquette University, WI, and a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Illinois. He also earned an MBA from Reinhardt University, GA, that focused on the application of business principles to the management of independent schools.
7–8:30 a.m. Continental breakfast/registration
8:30–10:15 a.m. Session
10:15–10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Session
12:15–1:15 p.m. Lunch with ISM
1:15–3 p.m. Session
3–3:15 p.m. Break
3:15–5 p.m. Session
5 p.m. Social with ISM
7–8:30 a.m. Continental breakfast
8:30–10:15 a.m. Session
10:15–10:30 a.m. Break
10:30-12 p.m. Session
818 Shipyard Dr.
Wilmington, DE 19801
Group hotel reservation rate of $179 is available until December 31, 2019. Subject to availability. Please wait until the workshop status is 'confirmed' before making your travel and hotel arrangements.
Things to Do in Wilmington
The Wilmington riverfront has a lot to offer you to occupy your downtime after an intense day of professional development training. Follow the riverwalk for restaurants, the Russell Peterson Wildlife Refuge and the DuPont Environmental Education Center, the Delaware Children's Museum, and Altitude Trampoline Park, Riverfront skating rink, Riverfront Mini Golf, to name a few.
Take in a movie at the new Penn River Cinema, with not only comfortable stadium seating but also an IMAX theatre. For Planet Fitness members, there is a large facility across from the Westin. The outstanding River Rock Kitchen is right inside the Westin, but you are also walking distance to the first-class Iron Hill Brewery, Delaware's Big Fish Grill, Timothy's on the Riverfront, Del Pez Mexican Gastropub, Joe's Crab Shack, Ubon Thai Cuisine Asian fusion, and Molly's Ice Cream (sandwiches too!).
The Riverfront Market and Bank's Seafood Grill is just a little further down the Riverwalk. And, of course, Starbucks is in the mix for your special coffee fix.
You can also hop one of the Dart First State Route 12 Riverfront buses to go to LOMA, or Lower Market Street, for more excellent restaurants we well as the Queen Theatre.
How will ISM communicate workshop information with me?
It is essential that your school approves the following email addresses from ISM:
You will be receiving all communication—including your confirmation email and access to your workshop's Google Drive account—from these e-mails.
What does my registration fee include?
All workshop materials, breakfasts, lunch or dinner daily, and social hours are included.
What is not included in my registration fee?
Hotel accommodations and travel expenses, other meals not noted.
What should I wear?
Meetings rooms are generally cold, as temperature control in meeting spaces and large convention centers is difficult. Please bring a sweater, jacket, or sweatshirt.
The classrooms and guest rooms are usually comfortable, but you may want to dress in layers in case the rooms are too warm or too cool for you. Dress is casual. Wear whatever is comfortable—jeans, sweat shirts, sweaters, etc. For current weather conditions, we recommend checking weather.com.
What should I bring?
You’ll receive a letter from your workshop instructor letting you know what to bring. However, please bring a laptop or tablet for online access.
Can my special dietary requirements be met?
Absolutely. Just give the Workshops Department a call at 302-656-4944, and we'll make sure your needs are accommodated.
How much free time will I have?
There are periods before, between, and after workshop sessions for relaxation, recreation, and socializing.
Should I need medical or dental attention, where should I go?
Should you need medical attention in a non-emergency, notify ISM staff and the hotel staff. The hotel can recommend what facilities are available, and may be able to supply transportation. In an emergency, call 911.
Confirmation and Cancellation Policy
We will correspond with you through email as soon as your workshop is confirmed, no later than two weeks prior to its start date. Occasionally, we may be forced to cancel an unconfirmed, scheduled workshop due to insufficient registration. So we ask that you do not make non-refundable travel arrangements until you receive notice that your workshop is confirmed. (ISM will not be responsible for any change/cancellation charges assessed by your airline or travel agent.)
Tuition Payment and Cancellation Policy for In-Person, Group-based Programs
Tuition must be paid in full 10 business days prior to the start date of the in-person, group-based program. An attendee with a balance due on the start date will be denied entrance to the program until the balance is paid in full.
Cancellation requests must be made in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, faxing to 302-656-0647, or mailing to: Professional Development Coordinator, ISM, 1316 N. Union St., Wilmington, DE, 19806.
- Cancellations received more than 15 business days prior to the start date of the program will be fully refunded. Gold Dollars will also be fully refunded.
- There will be no refunds for cancellations made less than 15 business days before the start of the program. For registrations paid for with membership Gold Dollars, the member school will receive a 50% refund of Gold Dollars.
- Non-payment of tuition or no-show to the event does not constitute a cancellation. Full tuition will be due and payable.
The Substitution Option and Wallet Option
Should an attendee need to cancel less than 15 days prior to the start date of the workshop, the school has two options to avoid penalty. Schools may also exercise these options at anytime for cancellations.
- The school may substitute another employee.
- The school may bank the funds for a future ISM registration. These funds must be applied to a professional development event within one year from the start date of the original workshop. After one year, the funds will be forfeited. To use banked funds, please call the Professional Development Coordinator at 302-656-4944 x152.
*We DO NOT accept enrollments from consultants.
ISM believes in providing quality and excellence in all of our events and in ensuring the satisfaction of everyone who attends. Nearly 100% of our participants say they would recommend our events to their colleagues. If you are not satisfied with your event for any reason, ISM will credit the fee you paid toward another similarly priced workshop or will refund it.
If you have any questions, click below to send us an email.
Upcoming Workshops and Events
10/20/2019 — 10/22/2019
Financial Aid Mastery: How to Strategically Use Financial Aid to Grow Your School
Status: Confirmed • Location: San Diego, CARegister
10/20/2019 — 10/23/2019
Mastering Enrollment Management
Status: Confirmed • Location: San Diego, CARegister