"What are the benefits of nonprofit D&O/EPLI coverage for schools?"
Nonprofit Directors & Officers (D&O) Including EPLI Coverage for Schools*—provides broad coverage for the entity and Directors, Officers, Trustees, employees, and volunteers.
The following policy highlights are not accurate for New York or Alaska. For more information about policies for those states,please download the Director's and Officers Liability Insruance Employment Practices Liability Insurance FAQ sheet.
- Broad Definition of Insured: Includes coverage for the School; all past, present, and future Directors, Trustees, Officers, Employees, Volunteers, Staff members, Student and Substitute teachers; Executive Board Members, Committee Members, and Leased employees. Spousal and Domestic Partner Coverage.
- Broad Definition of Employment Practices Wrongful Acts: Includes wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination,misrepresentation, failure to promote or employ, wrongful discipline, deprivation of career opportunities, failure to grant tenure, negligent evaluation, retaliation, mental anguish, emotional distress, invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
- Broad Definition of Educational Practices Wrongful Acts: (Created for Schools) Includes coverage for claims arising out of Suspension or Discipline; Teaching or Instruction; Counseling or Guidance; Grading; Placement, Admission Decisions; Scholarships; Stipend and Award Grants.
- Broad Definition of Claims: Includes written demands and administrative proceedings which can be Monetary and Non-monetary Relief. Our Definition also includes Arbitration Proceeding (excludes collective bargaining disputes). Form also includes Front/Back Pay Pre/Post Judgment Interest.
- Full Prior Acts Coverage: Full prior acts coverage for any unknown circumstances. Our form does not have a retro-active date—it carries a prior/pending date.
- Claims Made Policy: The policy is written on a duty to defend basis, which means company attorneys, will be appointed by the carrier to defend the Insured in event of a claim.
- Costs of Defense Provided in Addition to the Limit of Liability: Cost of defense is provided in addition to the limit of liability. The Insurer assumes the duty to defend the claim; the expenses will not diminish the limit of liability. (In some cases, the retention may apply.)
- Cost of Defense for Hour/Wage Claims: A $150,000 sublimit is provided for defense costs only to defend the wage and hourly claims. This is built into the wording of our form.
- Discovery or Extended Reporting Period: Choice of one, two, or three Year Option built into the wording.
- Outside Directorship Coverage:Included in the wording to cover non-profit 501© three organizations for the Directors that are on multiple boards.
- D&O/ EPL Risk Management Program: Available through the outside Law Firm of Jackson Lewis which includes a toll-free hot line for all your Directors and Officers/Employment Practices Liability basic legal questions.
- Enhancements available for an additional premium: Fiduciary Coverage for a separate $1,000,000 limit with a $1,000 retention available; Workplace Violence Coverage with a $100,000 sublimit; Internet, Security and Privacy with a sublimit of a $1,000,000 shared limit that also has a $25,000 sublimit for the crisis fund built into it; Sexual Misconduct coverage for Defense Costs only with a sublimit of $150,000—a questionnaire is required to be completed, reviewed and accepted prior to approving this coverage.
- Third Party Coverage: Coverage that would cover a third-party sexual harassment type claim, in addition to third-party discrimination claims.
*Coverage, offered through an A+ rated carrier, is for private-independent schools and is not available for public schools. Not all coverage is available in all states. Please contact us for details of coverage options available in your state. We do not offer Property/Casualty Liability or CGL Insurance.
Nonprofit Directors & Officers (D&O) Including EPLI Coverage for Schools fact sheet—For all states EXCEPT New York and Alaska
To find out more about Directors & Officers (D&O) including EPLI Insurance for private-independent schools, or to obtain a state-specific application, e-mail Andy Bobich, Directors & Officers Liability Department, or call 302-656-4944 (ext. 361).