Learn practical strategies to handle emerging trends and leadership challenges in private schools.
No matter if you’re a School Head, Admission Director, Development Director, Board member, or any other private school administrator—Ideas & Perspectives, ISM’s premier private school publication, has strategic solutions for the pervasive problems you face.
- Tuition not keeping pace with your expenses? In I&P, explore how to use strategic financial planning to create your budget and appropriately adjust your tuition.
- Enrollment dropping off? Discover how to implement the right admission and enrollment management strategies that engage your community—and fill your classrooms.
- Trouble retaining teachers? Learn how you can best support your teachers using ISM’s Comprehensive Faculty Development framework. Your faculty members will become more enthusiastic about their roles—which ultimately improves student outcomes.
- Fundraising campaigns not as successful as you’d hoped? Implement ISM’s practical advice and guidance to build a thriving annual fund, construct an effective capital campaign, and secure major donors—no matter your community size or location.
- Not sure how to provide professional development—for you and your staff? Learn ways to develop and fund a successful professional development strategy. You can improve teacher-centered satisfaction and growth, which in turn strengthens student-centered learning.
- Problematic schedule? You can master the challenges of scheduling with the help of ISM’s practical advice, based on our experience with hundreds of schools and our time-tested theories.
- And so much more.
I&P has shared targeted research, up-to-date insight, and sound theory with school leaders since 1975. More than 8,500 private school decision-makers find the answers to their schools’ administrative and governance matters in our advisory letter. We give you the strategic answers you need.
As an ISM Silver or Gold member, you not only receive issues online and in print 16 times a year, but you have access to more than 600 articles in our web archive. Need help? It’s at your fingertips! Learn more and sign up for ISM's membership here.
See the articles from our latest issue of Ideas & Perspectives.
Over the years, ISM has written extensively about the Head Support and Evaluation Committee (HSEC). As the linking unit between governance and operations, both the HSEC’s composition and its reason-for-being are critical to your success as School Head. Regarding the committee’s composition, ...Login to see the full article
Private schools often contract with companies to provide various services, e.g., food, maintenance and custodial, grounds care, and transportation. Additionally, schools and other businesses often use temporary employees for short-term assignments. A third employment arrangement is co-employment.&nb...Login to see the full article
ISM has long advised School Heads to survey their faculty and students in grades 5 and up annually to measure and monitor the extent to which both groups are experiencing adequate levels of predictability and support. Predictability and support are consistently, positively correlated with enthusiasm...Login to see the full article
You, as School Head, contend daily with periods of rapid change in society and schools. Your ability to create a readiness for change and for understanding its impact will continue to be critical components in the success of your headship. High-functioning private schools continually evolve. Thei...Login to see the full article
As schools attempt to achieve greater excellence, provide more value to parents for their tuition dollars, and better prepare students for the future, the three most common tactics rooted in a “culture of more” include devoting more time, expanding program requirements, and scheduling curricular and cocurricular elements to allow students to “do more.”Login to see the full article
When a donor gives to your school, they make a deeply personal statement about their commitment to your students and your school’s mission. That’s why your school’s procedures should celebrate and strengthen the ties between that donor and your school. This holds true whether the gift is one you’re ...Login to see the full article
ISM’s faculty evaluation framework is based on a set of Essential Expectations that teachers are meeting or not meeting. Regularly meeting all expectations is required to remain employed by the school. Meeting nine out of 10 of them or sometimes meeting them doesn’t cut it. While this may sound...Login to see the full article
When schools shifted to crisis-driven distance learning in response to COVID-19, we surveyed parents about school responses to the crisis and the virtual learning experience. Parents gave schools positive ratings for their response, leadership communication, teacher communication, and the virtual le...Login to see the full article
As Development Director, you understand the importance of operating a successful annual giving program. The revenue it provides can greatly enhance your programs and, in many schools (while not recommended by ISM) contribute to balancing your operating budget. Solid preparation for your yearly campa...Login to see the full article
Accidental injuries to students participating in school-related activities are nothing new. However, with the increased number of lawsuits throughout the United States, schools must be more aware of the liability attendant to student accident situations. As School Head or Business Manager, identify ...Login to see the full article