Learn practical strategies to handle emerging trends and leadership challenges in private schools.
No matter if you’re a School Head, Admission Director, Development Director, Board member, or any other private school administrator—Ideas & Perspectives, ISM’s premier private school publication, has strategic solutions for the pervasive problems you face.
- Tuition not keeping pace with your expenses? In I&P, explore how to use strategic financial planning to create your budget and appropriately adjust your tuition.
- Enrollment dropping off? Discover how to implement the right admission and enrollment management strategies that engage your community—and fill your classrooms.
- Trouble retaining teachers? Learn how you can best support your teachers using ISM’s Comprehensive Faculty Development framework. Your faculty members will become more enthusiastic about their roles—which ultimately improves student outcomes.
- Fundraising campaigns not as successful as you’d hoped? Implement ISM’s practical advice and guidance to build a thriving annual fund, construct an effective capital campaign, and secure major donors—no matter your community size or location.
- Not sure how to provide professional development—for you and your staff? Learn ways to develop and fund a successful professional development strategy. You can improve teacher-centered satisfaction and growth, which in turn strengthens student-centered learning.
- Problematic schedule? You can master the challenges of scheduling with the help of ISM’s practical advice, based on our experience with hundreds of schools and our time-tested theories.
- And so much more.
I&P has shared targeted research, up-to-date insight, and sound theory with school leaders since 1975. More than 8,500 private school decision-makers find the answers to their schools’ administrative and governance matters in our advisory letter. We give you the strategic answers you need.
As an ISM Silver or Gold member, you not only receive issues online and in print 10 times a year, but you have access to more than 600 articles in our web archive. Need help? It’s at your fingertips! Learn more and sign up for ISM's membership here.
See the articles from our latest issue of Ideas & Perspectives.
For many families, financial aid is one of the most critical determinants in whether they enroll or re-enroll their child in your school. While some families may find the financial aid application process stressful, waiting to learn if they will receive an award can be downright excruciating.Login to see the full article
Word-of-mouth marketing has long been the primary way new families find private-independent schools. Even with the explosion of internet searches, social media, and digital advertising, this tenet continues to hold fast.Login to see the full article
As School Head, one of your major responsibilities is to share the realities of school operations with your Board of Trustees, which often comprises professionals from the corporate sector.Login to see the full article
While school leaders’ management styles differ, one major question for any School Head is how to designate their direct reports and articulate what those relationships signify in terms of their school’s mission.Login to see the full article
You, as Business Manager of your PK–12 school, are in the initial stages of putting together the first draft of your operating budget for the coming year, which will be Year Three of your current strategic financial plan. Line 1A of your strategic financial spreadsheet (not shown in this article)&nb...Login to see the full article
Strategic diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and belonging (DEIJB) objectives are as iterative as they are systemic. A school’s DEIJB initiatives evolve with the political times and with the school community ethos.Login to see the full article
A significant aspect of an effective Board is the ability to have robust and substantial conversations that lead to wise decisions. Many Boards use a process called Executive Session to safeguard the confidentiality of a Board discussion.Login to see the full article
Early in the pandemic, the ISM consulting team asked a critical question: Will the pandemic be an event to simply endure, or will it forever change the marketplace for private schools? It is now clear the pandemic is a disruptor, and school leaders, executives, and Trustees must be prepared for significant changes.Login to see the full article
The traditional classroom is a single teacher, occupying a third of the physical space at the front of a classroom at a “board” (i.e., chalk, dry-erase, electronic) while delivering the curriculum to a “small classroom” of students. Observations and interviews with students across the nation confirm that this method still predominantly describes most classrooms in middle and upper schools.Login to see the full article
As a Division Head, you understand trust is a critical component of effective working relationships. In fact, trusting relationships in schools have been shown to increase faculty cooperation, enhance school climate, and improve student outcomes.Login to see the full article