Learn practical strategies to handle emerging trends and leadership challenges in private schools.
No matter if you’re a School Head, Admission Director, Development Director, Board member, or any other private school administrator—Ideas & Perspectives, ISM’s premier private school publication, has strategic solutions for the pervasive problems you face.
- Tuition not keeping pace with your expenses? In I&P, explore how to use strategic financial planning to create your budget and appropriately adjust your tuition.
- Enrollment dropping off? Discover how to implement the right admission and enrollment management strategies that engage your community—and fill your classrooms.
- Trouble retaining teachers? Learn how you can best support your teachers using ISM’s Comprehensive Faculty Development framework. Your faculty members will become more enthusiastic about their roles—which ultimately improves student outcomes.
- Fundraising campaigns not as successful as you’d hoped? Implement ISM’s practical advice and guidance to build a thriving annual fund, construct an effective capital campaign, and secure major donors—no matter your community size or location.
- Not sure how to provide professional development—for you and your staff? Learn ways to develop and fund a successful professional development strategy. You can improve teacher-centered satisfaction and growth, which in turn strengthens student-centered learning.
- Problematic schedule? You can master the challenges of scheduling with the help of ISM’s practical advice, based on our experience with hundreds of schools and our time-tested theories.
- And so much more.
I&P has shared targeted research, up-to-date insight, and sound theory with school leaders since 1975. More than 8,500 private school decision-makers find the answers to their schools’ administrative and governance matters in our advisory letter. We give you the strategic answers you need.
As an ISM Silver or Gold member, you not only receive issues online and in print 16 times a year, but you have access to more than 600 articles in our web archive. Need help? It’s at your fingertips! Learn more and sign up for ISM's membership here.
See the articles from our latest issue of Ideas & Perspectives.
Periodically, ISM publishes a series of speculative statements forecasting what we believe will become necessary to achieve marketplace success in the coming years. This article updates that list.Login to see the full article
Directing a summer program has become a year-round role requiring the same talents and skills needed to run a business. Summer Program Directors must establish a schedule, secure appropriate facilities, hire staff, acquire equipment, and coordinate marketing efforts. The Summer Program Director develops and manages an annual budget, often in coordination with the school’s Business Manager or CFO. The following provides step-by-step guidance..Login to see the full article
Imagine a child—thousands of miles from home and not a native English speaker—living in a home or boarding situation considered unsafe or unhealthy. To what degree is a school responsible for oversight of these children?Login to see the full article
An employment application serves your school in these ways. Provides consistency. Employment processes varying from applicant to applicant constitute one of the most serious legal risks for schools. By requiring everyone to complete an application, the school ensures it is collecting consistent d...Login to see the full article
The HSEC’s functions are too complex to include in an other committee’s portfolio. One of the reasons for ISM’s long-held insistence on age diversity on your Board is the obvious need for Trustees who fall into the category of “vigorous retired.” The time and commitment demands on the HSEC call f...Login to see the full article
As you identified and engaged your donors and prospects, you gathered a substantial amount of information and determined those who meet the three ACT criteria: Ability to give; Commitment to the school and the project to be funded; and Track record of giving (to your school and other phila...Login to see the full article
The Circle graphically links private-independent school structure to private-independent school function, allowing Leadership Teams to evaluate their current management structure, for its goodness-of-fit, to their school’s current array of functions. This, in turn, allows a more precise approach to ...Login to see the full article
It is important to understand there is something markedly different between “difference makers” and the merely “good.” The Stability Markers have been adjusted through the iterations to establish metrics and priorities beyond “nice to have.” The markers are criteria that schools should use to measur...Login to see the full article
Consider the following list of suggestions as you prioritize your college counseling program. If your program is too understaffed to handle these elements, a great deal will be left undone. If this is the case, urge your School Head to hire more staff at the next Board strategic planning ...Login to see the full article
As Admission Director, you know much rides on the success of your annual open house event(s). While many schools experience great results at their open houses, many Admission Directors believe their results could and should be better. Some have abandoned traditional open house events, believing they...Login to see the full article