Learn practical strategies to handle emerging trends and leadership challenges in private schools.
No matter if you’re a School Head, Admission Director, Development Director, Board member, or any other private school administrator—Ideas & Perspectives, ISM’s premier private school publication, has strategic solutions for the pervasive problems you face.
- Tuition not keeping pace with your expenses? In I&P, explore how to use strategic financial planning to create your budget and appropriately adjust your tuition.
- Enrollment dropping off? Discover how to implement the right admission and enrollment management strategies that engage your community—and fill your classrooms.
- Trouble retaining teachers? Learn how you can best support your teachers using ISM’s Comprehensive Faculty Development framework. Your faculty members will become more enthusiastic about their roles—which ultimately improves student outcomes.
- Fundraising campaigns not as successful as you’d hoped? Implement ISM’s practical advice and guidance to build a thriving annual fund, construct an effective capital campaign, and secure major donors—no matter your community size or location.
- Not sure how to provide professional development—for you and your staff? Learn ways to develop and fund a successful professional development strategy. You can improve teacher-centered satisfaction and growth, which in turn strengthens student-centered learning.
- Problematic schedule? You can master the challenges of scheduling with the help of ISM’s practical advice, based on our experience with hundreds of schools and our time-tested theories.
- And so much more.
I&P has shared targeted research, up-to-date insight, and sound theory with school leaders since 1975. More than 8,500 private school decision-makers find the answers to their schools’ administrative and governance matters in our advisory letter. We give you the strategic answers you need.
As an ISM Silver or Gold member, you not only receive issues online and in print 16 times a year, but you have access to more than 600 articles in our web archive. Need help? It’s at your fingertips! Learn more and sign up for ISM's membership here.
See the articles from our latest issue of Ideas & Perspectives.
Accidental injuries to students participating in school-related activities are nothing new. However, with the increased number of lawsuits throughout the United States, schools must be more aware of the liability attendant to student accident situations. As School Head or Business Manager, identify ...Login to see the full article
When schools shifted to crisis-driven distance learning in response to COVID-19, we surveyed parents about school responses to the crisis and the virtual learning experience. Parents gave schools positive ratings for their response, leadership communication, teacher communication, and the virtual le...Login to see the full article
As Development Director, you understand the importance of operating a successful annual giving program. The revenue it provides can greatly enhance your programs and, in many schools (while not recommended by ISM) contribute to balancing your operating budget. Solid preparation for your yearly campa...Login to see the full article
You, as Board President, with assistance from the Chair of the Committee on Trustees (COT), have the responsibility of forming and charging the array of Board committees each year. ISM urges a six-step process, normally initiated in late spring. 1. Review Board performance for the previous 1...Login to see the full article
ISM defines “management positions” as those carrying responsibilities—under the delegated authority of the School Head—for hiring, evaluating, and, when necessary, dismissing those employees who report to them. In contrast, ISM defines “influencer positions”—those school administrators to whom no on...Login to see the full article
Directors and Officers insurance (formerly known as School Legal or Trustee Liability insurance) was created in the 1930s, ostensibly to protect corporate directors and officers from personal liability. It now may be the most critical insurance protection for your school. As the CFO/Business Manager...Login to see the full article
A key function of the Board is to plan for the school’s financial stability. In the development arena, the Board fulfills this responsibility through strategic decisions that provide the necessary foundational support for all elements of the Comprehensive Development Model—Leadership, Case for Givin...Login to see the full article
At ISM, we are hopeful the United States has begun a new resolve to end systemic racism. ISM’s leadership and consulting teams resolutely believe that matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are for our corporate good, and we pledge to do our part in finding solutions to end unfair practic...Login to see the full article
Private-independent schools have, for decades, offered financial aid to those unable to afford the full cost of tuition. Using a need-based formula, schools have typically awarded financial aid as a discount for which an applicant applies. Schools have reported that, over the past decade, f...Login to see the full article
A Paid-Time-Off (PTO) bank is a repository of hours on which employees may draw without differentiating among vacation days, sick time, or personal time. In its “pure” form, the PTO bank provides an employee unlimited freedom, within the PTO maximum, to decide not to be in the classroom, on the playing field, on the stage, in the administrative office, or anyplace else their responsibilities normally require. Is this a practicable concept for your school?Login to see the full article